Sunday, May 11, 2008

Make Like a Tomato and Ketchup

Its a Sunday and Im at work...why you ask? I did someone a favor in the hopes that good karma would come back my way when I needed it most. A girl here wanted to take the day off (she regularly works on Sundays) and I said I would pick up her shift so that she might leave town for a Mother's Day visit. In return, she will work my Friday, which is hard to beat. Short weeks are better than almost anything. So here I sit...


Dont get me wrong, working on the weekends is nice, you get paid a differential, the phone rings less, catching up on any updated nonsense on facebook/myspace is much easier, shows on abc.com are less interrupted by the phone... and its very, very quiet. I like quiet. Oh, and today I plan to throw myself back into the Harry Potter series. I started a few months back and after blazing through the first 3 books in two weeks, I came to a screeching halt on book 4. I plan to get back into it today, long since have been the nights that I could not put the books down and because Derek is gone for a while, I have much more time for reading. Long live the closet bookworm that I am.

Its not Monday yet but I'll recap my weekend for you anyway. I know youve all been anxiously awaiting an update on what exactly that crazy Dez has been up to.

Friday night I met Kyndall for a brisk walk. For 6+ years now we have mapped and conquered a 5 mile walk around the Northwest Hills area. We have literally been going on the same walk since before either of us were even legal to drive a car. We get some serious gossip taken care of, decipher our relationships, decide how the world can be a better place (if only we were in charge), and best of all, we burn calories. This time, I decided to bring Molly along for the trek. The last time I subjected Molly to one of our marathon walks, she ended up in Kyndall's hoodie the whole way home. This time, she did a little better. Towards the half way point, she was starting to pant pretty heavily and we started to worry she might collapse from heat stroke at any given moment (it was 94 degrees outside) but much to our surprise, Molly pressed on. When we finally decided she was tough enough to continue without our fretting, the leash suddenly tightened and I turned around to see Molly laid out in the grass, refusing to take one step further. I picked all 15 pounds of her her up and carried her like a baby--this was made especially difficult by the fact that each of her paws were literally covered in stickers. You know those annoying, sharp, tiny little things that stick into your skin and prick you just enough to border on pain and annoying? Im not sure if thats why she gave up on the walk or if she was just plum exhausted.

After our walk, we decided to reconvene at Michelle's new house in Avery Ranch. Falon, with whom I share the title of Maid of Honor, was in town from Dallas and we'd promised Michelle we would all get together and make her wedding favors. This consisted of folding tiny gift boxes into their correct form, stuffing them with candy, tying a bow around the box, and adhering a sticker with the letter T across the front (Michelle will be a Tate as of June 14th). Sounds easy enough. 250 boxes later...we were stiff from sitting, our stomach's were sore from laughing, and it was time for bed.

Saturday morning was an early one for me. I got up, took Molly to the groomer (the stickers HAD to be cut out of her fur), and went to the grocery store. To any of you who know me well, you know how much I loathe grocery shopping. This might be due to the fact that I only go once every two months or so... I have to buy one of everything in the stinking store. Never will I ever go in for just milk or dishwashing liquid... never. So... needless to say, a trip to HEB is quite an ordeal for me. I not only had to buy food for the next 60 days, but I also was in charge of a veggie plate for Michelle's bridal shower that afternoon.

Now, let me go backwards to Molly at the groomer. Poodle hair is awesome, its cute, its fuzzy, and it doesnt shed. And for the downside of poodle hair: it catches everything in its path, and when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING. It is next to impossible to keep Molly clean. I was having to bathe her every 4-5 days (more often when it rained) and washing leads to drying and then of course, brushing- which always proved to be the most time consuming part of the process. I talked all of this information over with the groomer and he suggested I give her a "summer cut"--I was oh so hesitant to do so- mostly because Molly's hair is what she is known for. But I reluctantly agreed and we talked about how much time it will save, how much better she will feel and ultimately I agreed. Summer cut it was. Fast forward about 3 hours and Molly looks like a completely different dog. I dont think she looks nearly as cute, but she is happy, and I let her sleep in my bed last night for the first time ever since I could actually see there were no small branches or leaves buried in her layers. She is now a short haired, sassy, summertime puppy. I would have taken a picture for you by my camera is currently on vacation in New Zealand. Sigh...
After I unloaded allllllllll the groceries,vacuumed my apartment, did some dusting, and picked Molly up, I had to get myself and the veggie tray ready. I got to Michelle's Moms house a little early, put some finishing touches on all the food and got ready to greet aunts, sisters, friends, grandmothers and ultimately take and stack up gifts. Falon and I served, smiled, cut cake, collected tissue paper/bows, displayed gifts, said goodbyes, cleaned and loaded up gifts. Showers are tiring! I went home, changed out of my dress, and met the girls once again at Michelle's house. We could think of nothing better to do than go and see the new movie, Made of Honor. We laughed, we teased about the cheesiness, then we realized how tired we were and all hit the hay. I think we might be getting old.

On a lighter note, You know when youre in a foul mood and someone who knows you well can tell right away? Sometimes they might ask you "who peed in your cheerios?" Well, this morning, I took extra time to make myself a hearty breakfast... a mini wheat bagel with fat free cream cheese, pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges and orange juice. Me being me, I saved my juice for my morning commute and much to my dismay by the time I reached my car, was inside and safely buckled in, I looked into my juice glass and saw a bug, swimming around, struggling for its life amidst its citrus grave. I ask all of you on this lovely morning "which bug landed in your juice?"--think it'll catch on? No? Me either. Damn.

So that brings you all up to speed. Have a good Sunday. Rest.... because Monday is almost here!

1 comments:

Katie Rae Snow said...

I NEED to see a new picture of Molly and her new doo!