Friday night was spent with some of Joanna's friends in from both Boston and Richmond, VA (shout out to Maureen and Jacquelyn). We started at Hula Hut for happy hour, the sunset, as well as appetizers and eventually migrated down to West 6th Street. We hunkered down at the rooftop section of Union Park. We thought it was the ideal spot for the out-of- towners mostly because of the view but also because this particular bar hosts a wide variety of Austinites. As far as people watching is concerned-there are the yuppie people, the grunge emo college kids who probably have more money than the yuppies, the frat guys and sorority girls, and the older 40/50 somethings who dress business casual despite being in a bar and seem to not allow their age stop them from having fun (impressive!)
We had a really great time, enjoyed the view of our city, and eventually decided if any of us were expected to function the next day, home was the place we all should go. I left the bar around 1230 which is a little early despite the constant yawning/contorting my face was doing. I walked to my car and when I finally got there, while digging for my keys, I realized I didnt have my cell phone. I checked all the compartments in my purse, the pockets in my jeans- all to no avail. I decided to walk back to the bar and look for my phone- surely it was around there somewhere and I was bound and determined to find it.
I dug in bushes, planters, bathrooms, under benches and asked for others to help dig behind bars. My phone was gone. Once 2 AM rolled around and people were being told to leave, I was amongst some very drunk people and accepted that it was time to cut my losses. Feeling defeated and pretty upset, I shoved my way through as many people as I was physically able, finally found my way out the front door and walked back to my car for the second time. I figured the quicker I got to my car and got on the road, the less I would have to concern myself with driving home next to some of the people I saw barfing or crying outside the bars. Amateurs.
I had no idea just how reliant I was on my cell phone. Sure, people joke that I am never without it, that Im always texting or on it in some form of fashion but really, I was truly lost without my phone. When I got home Friday night, I needed to set an alarm to get up and drive to Pflugerville to babysit Macey... no alarm sans cell phone. I had no phone to let them know I was on my way in the morning and heaven forbid I got into an accident or ran out of gas or God knows what else. Are you guys that dependant on your phones? I have maybe 5 numbers max committed to memory, I felt like my right arm was missing. I would also like to add that 4 out of the 5 numbers I know by heart (Kyndall, Michelle, Derek and my Mom) were ALL out of town. The 5th number is my own- you do the math.
Saturday afternoon, as soon as my duties as babysitter were filled, I headed to the T-Mobile store... yes, I needed a replacement phone. As it turns out, it was time for me to "upgrade" anyway. This means its been a set amount of time since I last purchased a phone (over a year) so I got a very discounted price on a new phone. I found a phone I liked enough, paid for it, and immediately raced home to send emails/facebook messages to start collecting numbers again. What a pain.
The moral of the story, keep your phone in a safe place- and if there is a chance you might lose it, at least have an alarm clock at home =) You may now return to your regularly scheduled broadcast.
Sunday, May 18, 2008
Cell Phones: A Source of Oxygen
Posted by Dezzy Lou Where Are You at 8:41 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Molly and Future Puppy Bilski could have play dates! By the way knowing five numbers is pretty good. I know my moms cell and house, my cell and work number. Anytime I have to remember Ryan's its like a five minute chore digging through the brain.
Hi Dezzy Lou,
I found you through Allison and Amanda.
I'm right there with you on the whole lost-without-my-phone thing. I feel like I can't function if I don't have it in my hand or in my purse or somewhere that I'm sure to hear it if it rings!
Ummm Dez your last post was sunday..... today is tuesday. Is everything ok???? I guess I am not one to speak.....
Post a Comment