If you are anything like me, everything has a place, a purpose, and a schedule. My mornings are usually the same, very little variation, very small window for mistakes.
I typically set my alarm for 630 AM. I snooze anywhere from 15-20 minutes then Im up. This is mostly due to the fact that Molly has listened to the jingle of my phone for longer than she can stand and is ready for some human contact. I let her out of her kennel (a.k.a. jail) and try my best to spend a few minutes petting her and telling her good morning. Im sure some of you are rolling your eyes right now saying "Dez, she's a dog"- but I digress. I then step into the bathroom for "face" application, hair and tooth brushing. At this point, I am more awake and somewhat aware that I am going to work/need to be at a functioning level shortly. I go into the kitchen and measure out Molly's breakfast, say hi to Bean, (who has only at this moment wandered out from the foot of my bed) I grab a bottle of water and on some days, a mug for my coffee I will have at work. This will depend on just how tired I am and how much help I think I might need in waking up.
Here is the tricky part- I cannot leave my house unless the bed is made, the couch cushions are aligned, the throw blanket is neatly draped over the cushions (despite it being named a "throw") and the remotes are in their basket. Only now can I emerge from my overly organized den. I lock Molly back up and hit the road.
I drive the same route every morning--which, much to my dismay is through a school zone. I have come to recognize the crossing guards, the routine of the drop off going on in the semi- circle in front of the school, and question just what time those parents get up in the mornings to get their little ones to school and then themselves to work in a timely manner. I can only assume its somewhere between 4 and 5. Sounds horrible. May I remind you that while watching all this early morning commotion, I am driving no faster than 20 MPH for fear of law enforcement draining my bank account with a big fat ticket. I am no sucker for the speed trap where the cops sit at each end of the blinking signs and wait for someone running late who is therefore, putting the pedal to the metal. No sir. Not me.
I eventually arrive to work, a drive that should take 5-7 minutes has taken me about 20. Not bad, I know. It could be SO much worse. I come into work, log on to my computer, pull up all appropriate programs and resources, grab my packet of oatmeal, my bowl and spoon out of my drawer and hit the break room. I fill my water bottle and sometimes my chosen coffee mug for the day and head back to my desk. Katie usually greets me and I give her a half conscious smile and groggy "good morning."
Ill leave out the details of my actual work day for fear that most of you are already falling asleep from boredom. Dont say I never did you any favors. But I ask you, what are your morning time quirks? Anyone have to enter the building from a certain door or park in a certain space? Or am I the only one who has lost my mind?
Tuesday, May 6, 2008
I am a Creature of Habit
Posted by Dezzy Lou Where Are You at 8:28 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well if this is any evidence that I, too, am a creature of habit, I came out of the kitchen and announced to my husband that I was leaving this morning. He looked at the clock and said, "Yep, it's 6:53 on the dot... sounds about right."
I have my getting ready routine timed down to the minute, and it does include making sure everything is in its place! But trust me, that part gets much harder once you throw in the unpredictable variable: a messy husband!
I park in the same spot every day at work...
Post a Comment