Turns out I have something called plica syndrome in my knee.
This is a condition that is the result of a remnant of fetal tissue in the knee. The synovial plica are membranes that separate the knee into compartments during fetal development. These plica normally diminish in size during the second trimester of fetal development. In adults, they exist as sleeves of tissue called "synovial folds," or plica. In some individuals, the synovial plica is more prominent and prone to irritation.
The plica on the inner side of the knee, called the "medial plica," is the synovial tissue most prone to irritation and injury. When the knee is bent, the plica is exposed to direct injury, and it may also be injured in overuse syndromes. When the plica becomes irritated and inflamed, the condition called "plica syndrome" results.
In my particular case, surgical removal of the plica is necessary. This surgical procedure is performed using an arthroscope, or a small camera, that is inserted into the knee along with instruments to remove the inflamed tissue.
As if thats not enough, I also have an off-set knee cap. My knee cap is closer to the outside of my leg than it is to the center and its believed that the plica is located underneath the cap, thus causing further irritation. This will also need correction during surgery- the cap will be moved back into its proper location at the center of my knee and into the grooves it is supposed to rest.
My next step is to see a physical therapist next week to learn some exercises to hold me off until the surgery. In four weeks from now I will see the orthopedic surgeon again to schedule my surgery, ask more questions and of course, learn more about the procedure itself.
I drove 45 minutes in rush hour traffic this morning, paid a $20 copay and $2 for parking for 5 minutes with the Dr and only bad news was given. Im more poor than when I got up this morning, in a terrible mood and stressed about what all of this means for my job. I essentially work out of my car and Im pretty sure it goes without saying I wont be able to drive for a while as the recovery time is 4-6 weeks.
This is just really not my day.
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
No Good Knee News
Posted by Dezzy Lou Where Are You at 9:21 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I'm sorry. That really sucks. I hope your company is understanding since this is obviously unavoidable.
i'm sorry to hear this hun :(
your company should be understandable since you have to have this done and you have no choice not to drive.
I'm sorry to hear of this. Let me know if you would like me to make you a hot meal and bring it over! :) Also, I want to do yoga with you!
I am so sorry to hear about this, I wish I could make it better :( I hope that when you do have surgery, your company understands and it goes well and you're better in no time. Take care,
OH NO! Girl I'm so sorry!!! Keep us posted to let us know what's happening. I hate hearing when people have to have surgery and it stinks! :(
You're in my prayers!
Thinkin' of you!!!
What a rip. Does this mean no cybernetic implants?
Post a Comment