Let me tell you a little story about how things happen in my world.
Derek and I are having his family over for dinner tonight so a stop at the grocery store was in order. After acquiring all necessary items for said dinner party I opted for the self checkout lane. Ive always thought the barcodes, beeping and keypads looked like a lot of fun and who didn’t play “cashier” as a kid? Despite having the 20 items or less, I had a few setbacks but managed to get out of the store in one piece.
After getting home, unloading the groceries and putting them away, I remembered that upon checkout I felt a little uneasy about the final bill. Because Id decided to play dress up of sorts, I wanted to check my work and make sure I hadn’t double charged myself or anything crazy. It was only then that I realized I hadn’t charged myself for the fresh cut flowers Id placed in my basket. I really like to keep fresh flowers around the house, especially when company is coming over.
It was in this moment I had a short lived feeling of remorse. On one hand, Id managed to stick an entire five dollars to the man and on the other hand, I felt a little guilty. I immediately rationalized it in my mind because how many times have we paid for a greeting card or a can of hairspray/tube of mascara only to arrive home without that much needed item (its always the one thing you NEED and the only thing not written on your list). Perhaps had I hopped back in my car and returned to the store to show them how honest and what a good citizen I am, the following would not have happened.
I reached into the cabinet above the stove where I store my vases and took a moment to decide which would make my flowers look their best. I grabbed for the one Id chosen only to watch another tumble out of the cabinet, onto the counter and smash into a million teeny tiny shards of broken glass ALL OVER MY KITCHEN. It was on the counters, the stove, the burners, the coffee maker, the bags of bread, the floor and even the island.
I spent the next hour cleaning up every single piece I could find wishing I would have chosen to go back to the store and do the right thing instead of celebrate my small victory against corporate America.
And so, readers, today’s lesson is: Thou shall not steal. Ever. Even if on accident.

3 comments:
Great post! I'm always worried something like that will happen to me. Not that I steal, but you know what I mean. I feel like if I ever do anything wrong, even if it's trivial, karma will bite me in the ass.
karma is a bitch....but then again, stick it to the man!! how much did you pay for those groceries thanks to the shitty economy and rising prices of everything??
I think that just means that clumsy people shouldn't steal.
Post a Comment