Monday, June 23, 2008

Churchs Chicken? Really?

I did a shift switch at work today and will be working the grueling shift from 1-9 PM. Why would I do this to myself, you ask? I wanted to attend a job fair.

I got up around 830 though I was not expected at work for a few more hours. First stop I made was HEB to cash in on a mug full of loose change Joanna found in my closet during our packing adventures this weekend. $6 richer, I drove to Derek's work. I dont have a printer at home so he was kind enough to print a few copies of my resume for me and sent me on my way having also printed out directions to the Embassy Suites where the job fair was being held. I dont know how I dont know my way there, either- its a lost cause, really. I seriously lack any kind of mental compass and find myself asking really silly directional questions, but its who I am so lets move on.

I arrived at the job fair in what I decided was my most appropriate attire only to look around and find some individuals in jeans, flip flops and... TANK TOPS. Are you kidding me? You want a job from these people and the best you could do to make yourself stand out was to display the fresh ink on your forearm and your magenta bra straps? Come on people. I guess if nothing else, they made me look even more professional.

I waited in line for about 30-45 minutes making small (and somewhat uncomfortable) chit chat with the man ahead of me. Once I was the next in line and it was my turn to enter the room, my heart sank. There were about 10 booths set up in the room and the biggest one my eye caught was that of Church's Chicken. I kid you not. There was also a booth for Travis County, New York Life, AAA, Bed Bath & Beyond and a few others I didnt commit to memory.

I dont want to make it sound like my efforts were a complete wash, I did meet with some good prospects, and if nothing else- its great experience on selling yourself and meeting people face to face which can sometimes be very nerve racking! I refuse to let today get me down or make me feel like my hunt is not going well- I have a job that I love and I am in no hurry to leave it... I just need more money when the universe decides it is time to give me more. I also have many other prospects I have been working on and some are turning out to be very promising!

I made my exit about 20 minutes after I had entered and headed to work, I got here a bit early so I was able to heat and eat my lunch and respond to a few emails before my shift started.

I hope your Monday has been more worth the effort you put forth than mine has been (so far). Here is hoping this week flies by, and the big move on Friday goes off without a hitch!

3 comments:

Mrs SarahB said...

Let me know if you need any help with your move!

Anonymous said...

$6! WOOT!! That is a chick-fil-a #1 value meal my friend :)

The Joiners said...

As a Recruiter, I have always found the attire that people wear to job fears quite amusing. I actually had a drag queen come up to me to ask about employment in one outside of Dallas. Special. For job searching, I really like the website indeed.com. It's a search engine that searches a lot of the other big career sites (monster, careerbuilder, etc.) and combines all the results into one spot. Just a suggestion!