Wednesday, June 25, 2008

All Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

My hunt for a second job has come to a temporary halt. Celebrations are in order.

First, the not so newsy-news. I went to Pier 1 after I left work yesterday. While I walked up to the store, a very strange feeling washed over me- almost depressing for lack of a better word. It was a pretty empty parking lot and everything in the window screamed SALE! I almost immediately met with the manager for what I thought was to be an interview. She told me to take a seat anywhere in the store and so I did. With all the displays and furniture to chose from, I was actually afraid she might not find me! Find me she did, and an application came with her as well as an employee handbook to peruse. When I was finished checking boxes and accounting for the last few years of my professional life, she proceeded to drill me with quesionts right in the middle of the store, not quite near the check-out stand/not quite far from it. It was very awkward to say the least. Then to my surprise, she asked me to come back next week. To be honest, she said later this week, but I was all booked up with other interviews and moving. I left feeling a bit icky and wondering if any of my other prospects would pan out better than this one had.

Then today, I had an interview at Massage Envy in Round Rock- it is 2 exits away from my new place and really was my first choice of places to work. After about a half an hour of talking with the manager and the general manager of all Austin locations, I was offered the job! I will be a "Sales Associate"--which really means, I will answer phones, schedule appointments, cancel appointments, make confirmation phone calls, and sell new massage packages to any and every sucker that comes my way. I kid, I kid. Well not really. I find it funny that despite all of my duties falling most logically under the description of "receptionist", its that little tiny detail of my ability to sell memberships and packages that determines my title. Dont get me wrong, Im not complaining. Not me. No sir.

I will keep my interview at Crate and Barrel tomorrow just in case they too offer me a job and it happens to pay more. It is a bit further away from my new apartment so that will have to play a role in the decision making, but lets be honest, my mind is close to being made up.

0 comments: