You will never, in a million, billion years believe the evening I just had. I dont think I would believe it if you told me, anyway.
Just when I thought things were on the upswing, I am reminded that the world can be a very very unfair place.
I left work this afternoon with an immediate destination of home, but after that, I had planned to attend two classes at the gym. I have done so well and I didnt intend to let the idea of it being Thursday and therefore an excuse to blow off the gym and have fun, get in my way.
I drove home right after work and went in to my apartment to give my cat fresh water and change into my gym clothes. I swear on my life I was inside NO more than 7 minutes- but much to my dismay when I walked back outside, my car would not start. I tried and tried but the results would not change. I walked back inside where it was air conditioned and called my knight in shining armor. As if I wasnt frustrated enough, he did not answer. After a few more unanswered calls I started to brainstorm as to who might else be able to come to my rescue. Chris was on a plane back to Austin, Michelle is 2 days from her wedding and has family in town, Kyndall was shoe shopping and then I ran out of ideas. Finally Derek called back with the promises of a short arrival. I figured it was best to be stranded at my own home so I made the best of it and watched a few Sex and the City episodes while I waited. Its amazing what those girls can take off your mind.
I got a call from Derek letting me know that he didnt have his jumper cables or the tools necessary to remove my battery should we deem it useless. I also informed him that no, no chance in hell did I have a wrench of my own. I put on my most patient face and told myself he was doing me a favor and that 30 more minutes would not be the death of me, meanwhile visions of dead batteries and alternators danced in my head.
Now here is where the story gets truly unbelievable. I get yet one more call from Derek informing me that he'd pulled into his driveway, parked his truck and gone inside to do two things: grab his jumper cables/wrench and feed Molly her dinner. When he walked back outside, it was his turn to feel the wrath of a non-starting battery. What the heck are the odds that his truck would not start?! He said that he was in the process of jumping it and he would be over just as soon as he could. In the meantime, he suggested I try my car just once more. I could not believe it when my car started, I could almost hear it mocking me the whole time, "I was just pretending to be broken." Derek called once again to tell me he'd gotten his car started and moving only to have it die a few blocks from his house and that I should head to the store (aka battery mecca) to get my own car taken care of.
I drove to Wal-Mart (my own personal hell for those of you who know me) as they were open the latest of all my options and asked that they use their magic battery gauge to tell me what the verdict was. I was relieved to learn that all I needed to buy was a new battery. Though I was not excited to spend a single dollar of my hard earned money, I was relieved it was nothing more.
Derek eventually showed up, having borrowed a car from his roommate and we stood together, baffled at the coincidence, horrified at the money we had to spend unexpectedly, and ultimately laugh at the fact that our evening ended up being spent buying his and her batteries at Wal-Mart. How romantic. How silly of us to have assumed we would be eating homemade enchiladas as planned.
I swear, only in my life would something like this happen.
Thursday, June 12, 2008
Ahh the Luck
Posted by Dezzy Lou Where Are You at 6:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
how crazy!!!! At least it was just batteries! But still, very strange!
Sorry about your cars - that stinks! Oh and we are going to the HEB over on Jollyville. Good times!
Oh haha yeah it probably is Braker - I am still trying to get the hang of all the roads over here! We are living in an apartment close to the Arboretum, just off 360 on Bluffstone Lane. It's called Broadstone Great Hills. Where are you living?
Post a Comment