Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Thoughts on Life Brought to You By Laguna Beach...

Im (majorly) ashamed to admit Ive been re-watching Laguna Beach. Not only does it make me feel awkward and uncomfortable more often than not but it made me remember a very odd feeling I remember so well.
The most recent episode I watched was when all the older kids (in Laurens class) come home for Christmas and hang out with each other as well as the current senior class at their Alma matter. I.e. Lauren and Kristen resume feuding over Stephen- lame.

Do you guys remember how weird it sometimes felt to be home from school during summer, Christmas, Easter or heaven forbid spring break (way uncool)? Sure it was nice to be in your “own” bed, get to spend time with your parents, not have to save each and every quarter you came across for laundry and you got to see your friends youd missed your entire first semester but it also felt odd- our of place even. Your home no longer felt like your home.

Your best friends were still your best friends but you found yourself missing your new college friends. You laughed at things nobody else understood because they were inside jokes you made with your roommate or suitemate. Your parents made you feel a little guilty if you didn’t balance time with them versus time with the friends you were dying to see and catch up with. You secretly missed your college bed and if you lived in a dorm, it was a twin. My dorm? Was co-ed and AWESOME. You didn’t know how it was possible to miss your messy pot-luck roommate. Many of the activities in your hometown felt a little bit amateur or silly. You had to see your ex and while it was bittersweet, lets be honest, youd rather see that boy you have been crushing on from your intro to MassComm class instead.

I moved back to the city I grew up in after college and still live here. I still pass by my high school and can smell the hallways. I can see the chalk boards and feel the band playing at pep rallies before I stepped onto the floor to dance. I can remember Fridays and how they held so much possibility for what may come after the football games. I remember feeling like all my emotions couldn’t possibly ever feel more intense: the friendships, the heartache, the laughter, the tears and the goodbyes.

Watching Laguna Beach- witnessing these kids (again) stumble through what they determined to be life altering decisions makes me remember how silly I was when I was 17. If only I knew then what I know now… it really makes me chuckle.

4 comments:

A Real Housewife said...

why do you think i moved here after only a year of college?

ps.....insomnia again? it says you posted this only THREE hours ago. get some sleep!

JennyMac said...

this is so true..We thought the world revolved around us at 17 but thankfully, we all grow out of it. Except the idiots on Jersey Shore. LOL.

Unknown said...

I was lucky enough to escape most of the 'return from college' drama and fun. My parents moved from Amarillo to Houston after my freshman year of college so I never got to 'go home.' I guess that's both good and bad. It would have been akward in some respects, like you said.

Tiffany A. said...

I was obsessed with Laguna!!! I am even more ashamed to admit I watch The Hills and The city STILL! Oh how I love trash tv :)