Monday, August 2, 2010

Nostalgic- Missing My Mom

Growing up in my house was anything but ordinary. I tease my Mom all the time for her unconventional ways but I cant help looking back and feeling very nostalgic for some of the littler things we did as a family and the things she did for me. Many traditions were instilled in me that I never really realized would carry on and possibly be passed on to my own family.

My Mother allowed me to open one gift on Christmas eve- we would video tape the openings that night and the next day and send them to our family that lived back east. It made for some awkward moments but looking back, it really was such a fun idea.

Birthdays were huge in our house. My Mom always made sure to wish me a happy birthday right at the time I was born (1:22 AM). Wed switch every other year between a huge party or a trip. Its hard to remember all the places we went but my favorite memory was being told on the way to the airport wed be landing in Florida that evening to visit Disney World. That was an unforgettable birthday.

My Mom used to cut fresh lavender from our garden and stuff it into my pillow cases. At the time it annoyed me more than anything because it was crunchy and would poke me in the face while sleeping. Now? I cant smell lavender and think of anything besides my Mom and her devoted ways of loving me.

After 12 years of studio dance I tried out for and made the drill team at school. I had to be in the gym as early as 530 AM everyday. As if her waking up to drive me there herself wasn’t enough- she still made sure I was up and out the door on time once I got my license. She always took a few extra minutes to make me a healthy breakfast and set it in my car next to my vitamins so I could eat on the way. When it was hot outside shed turn the car on and blast the AC to cool the car for me and when it was cold, shed turn on the heater so it was nice and toasty by the time I had to leave.

Its funny how while growing up we so often take these little symbols of love for granted. Now as I grow older and take steps closer to having my own family, I only hope I can love my child and make sure to show it in my own ways as much as my Mother did. She truly made me feel like the center of her universe every single day.

2 comments:

A Real Housewife said...

you're going to be a great mom AND aunt! nolan can't wait to meet his future wife. get crackin'

mrs. thompson said...

that was such a sweet post about your mom, thanks for sharing. i loved how she would have all of that for you when you got up so early in the morning, how sweet.