Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The C Word

Our family received some tough news today. My mom was diagnosed with skin cancer. ‘They’ say if youre going to get cancer, it’s the best kind to get and if its skin cancer, basal cell is the most common and therefore has the best and highest treatment rates.
Does anything else matter when its your parent and the word cancer becomes attached to their health?

We don’t know much yet- I will be going with her to see her dermatologist tomorrow. Well learn more about her diagnosis as well as her prognosis and discuss treatment plans. I only hope I can keep it together as well as she has so far.

15 comments:

Desiree Lynn said...

You're in my thoughts. I remember when my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer. The flood of emotions was hard to handle and I have an understanding of what you might be feeling. *hugs and kisses*

Velma said...

Praying for you girl. I know this has to be hard. I'm glad you are going to be able to be there for your mom!

the blogivers said...

I'm so sorry to hear that :( Keeping you and your mom in my prayers!

Unknown said...

Sending prayers your way.

Mrs SarahB said...

Dez, Hope you and your mom are doing ok. The C Word is such a scary word and can mean so much. Around ten years ago my dad was told something along the same line, not exactly sure which kind. He has stuff frozen off every now and then.

Courtney said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I went through this exact thing (different cancer) about 4 years ago with my mom. It's not easy, but it sounds like you have a great support system. I'm only an e-mail away if you need anything.

Anonymous said...

You're definitely going to be in my thoughts today. I can imagine this is really hard thing for you, once you hear cancer, nothing else matters until you know whether or not she is going to be okay. Keep your head up!

Erin said...

Hoping and praying your mom's case is very curable(and that she isn't too stubborn to do what the doctor recommends)..

HH with y'all yesterday was entertaining to say the least.

Me: You have to take care of it before it gets worse. What if you let it go and it gets so deep they have to amputate half of your face??
Your mom: Well then I'd definitely need plastic surgery.

At least she's in high spirits!

Kelly said...

you are right! cancer is cancer and when it's associated with your parents/loved ones, it doesn't matter what "they" say! :(
Please know that you have a lot of people was praying for you and your mom!
hang in there girlie. If you ever need to talk, I've been there....

Sarah Ann said...

Goodness, I'm so sorry!
I'm glad I found your blog - loving it and following you :)

plauschinat said...

I'm so, so sorry. This must be such a scary time for your mom and you. I will be praying for a wonderful prognosis and a treatment plan that will cure the disease with no side effects.

mrs. thompson said...

Hey Dez,
Im so sorry, I hope you heard good things from the Dr and this can be taken care of in the best way possible. sending thoughts and prayers your way!!

Seattle Kim D said...

I will pray for your family. Cancer is definitely treatable and she can (and WILL) beat this. I know how difficult it can be to struggle with an ill family member (my sister had Sarcoma last year) but we all grew closer as a result and now she's healthy as can be. Your mom will too! <3

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

This breaks my heart. I hate the C word. My family has been battling it for the better part of 10 years. Your mom will be in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!!! Keep us posted girl. *HUGE HUGS* oxox

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. Keep us posted. I totally know the fears of the unknown so I hope for aquick diagnosis and plan of action! I'll be praying for you guys!