There are so many funny things about working with mostly men. There are two other women in my department and other than that, were surrounded by testosterone. Its really not so bad most days and makes for a pretty funny and lighthearted work environment. Minus the burping and farting and comments about how hot some of their customers are, we have a good time together. You could say, like any work place, were all one dysfunctional family.
A few of my favorite stories over the last two and a half years:
- My bosses reaction when I cried at work for the first time. Yes, I know, shame on me. He didn’t know if he should hug me, run away, or hand me a tampon. Hes a very cool guy but he says the f word more than most bosses so he just doesn’t understand when a woman cries.
- All the reactions at work when I got engaged:
“Nice cubic zirconium”
“Did he get that at Wal Mart?”
“You know what the leading cause of divorce is? Marriage.”
And yes, its all in jest and I try to take it all with a grain of salt (as one MUST in my industry) but my favorite came yesterday morning. It was my first sales meeting to attend since returning from our honeymoon. My boss welcomed a coworker back who just recovered from ankle surgery- he got a nice hearty round of applause and some hoots and hollars. And then came the “Lets all welcome Desiree back, shes newly married of course”- CRICKETS. A few half hearted slaps of hands and a unanimous groan “yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.”
This may sound offensive to some, but you’ve gotta realize the crowd, theyre just so sarcastic and dry. And I love each and every one of them and got a huge giggle out of their response. Mostly because 85% of them are married. Happily.
2 comments:
Those ring comments are pretty funny. Guys are such dorks, really. Being raised with all brothers (5 of them!!) I get stupid guy comments from all different directions. Gotta love 'em!
Men are hilarious. I work in a law firm in a small town that is pretty much an old boys' club. They frequently laugh about my outfits, burp in front of me, call me "lil lady" and apologize for swearing (like I am easily offended...not!). It's kind of a riot!
Post a Comment