Thursday, September 23, 2010

Just Another Day

In the three weeks I have been covering my coworkers route, I have been accosted by two homeless men. You may be thinking to yourselves that its not a bad ratio and you would be right. I am constantly barraged with homeless men and women- standing on the sidewalks of campus looking generously disgusting, waiting on corners near red lights with cardboard signs telling their various sob stories, sitting in parking lots offering to “watch” your car for a few dollars. You name it, theyre there.

Yesterday was a truly special occasion-one that involved physical contact and one worth mentioning. I was walking into an account when it started to rain, naturally I didn’t have am umbrella. A nice man on the porch of said establishment reached his hand out to me and offered to help me up the steps. I thought it a bit odd but also felt guilty for assuming he was a creep and reminded myself that perhaps chivalry is not dead after all. I soon remembered why I should always trust my instincts. The supposed nice man would not let go of my hand, mumbled over and over some gibberish in the form of prayers and was blocking my path to the front door. As quickly as it all happened, I jerked my hand back and flailed away. It took me a few minutes to calm down, a lot of soap to feel clean again and a few moments to realize it would be nowhere near my last homeless encounter.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the great and unique city of Austin and all it has to offer as well as the hilarious sights Im able to take in on any given day, but the number of “homeless” people in this city is rising to an unacceptable level. You see, I spend 80 percent of my day in my car- driving in traffic, listening to the same pop songs over and over and over, and bridge dweller dodging. It’s a tough life but someone has to do it. Its just another day as Dez.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

We have a lot of that type here in Memphis too. No matter how much you see it or are around it, I don't think you ever get fully used to those people!

A Real Housewife said...

this had me laughing so hard when i saw it on FB.

TLF said...

Despite Lindsey's comment, born & raised in Memphis, we actually do not have a lot of homeless around. They stick more to the run down areas of town.

Just because someone is homeless, doesn't mean that they are a creep or a perv. And I'm sure one washing of your hands would have sufficed.

I think a lot of us need to be less judgmental and more helpful. :)

xoxo!!

Allena said...

Hilarious. How do you stand listening to the radio the whole time? You need a library card and need to listen to books on CD - I would go insane if I didn't have them, and I'm not in the car nearly as much as you. Ha!