Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Night in Brookfield Estates

Derek and I went for a walk around his neighborhood last night. We don’t make the time to do this very often, but when we do, its really nice. Last night was a little more unusual than our past walks- starting out with a lost dog and ending with some angry neighbors.

Right when we neared the edge of Derek’s driveway at the start of our walk, a small black dog (one that looked much like Molly) approached us and started barking. We looked both ways up and down his street to see if we could find anyone- looking frazzled, chasing this leash less dog. Much to our surprise, there was nobody running in our direction apologizing and begging us to please grab his or her dog. Perhaps our surprise was due to the fact that when Molly gets away from us (and bolts all the way down the block) were usually more worried about her running up to a little kid and licking them to death than we are about actually grabbing her- not to mention were usually immensely frustrated and desperate for someone to reach out and lend a hand by scooping her up. Because this dog seemed to be out on its own without the knowledge of its owner I immediately suggested we grab it and look at its tags to call someone. Here is how the conversation went:

Me- “Hurry up and grab it”
D- “What if it has rabies?”
Me- “Its to cute to have rabies, Molly is cute and she doesn’t have rabies”
D- “That’s not logical”
Me-“Sure it is, it has tags which means someone cares for it and most likely got this dog its rabies shot”

-Silence-

Me- “Fine, you hold Molly and Ill grab the dog”

Well let me tell you... this dog did not want to go home! Not only would it not allow me to grab it but also barked like crazy once I got within two feet of it. Id get close and it would run off- then stop and wait for me to catch up. This game of cat and mouse continued on for about as long as I could stand until I finally picked up speed and went jogging after the dog. Much to my dismay, this poor dog eventually made a turn and disappeared into the darkness and I was left worried, a little broken hearted at my shortcomings as a hero and of course out of breath.

Derek was still two blocks behind trying to keep Molly at bay, though I still think he might think that rabies is airborne and he was protecting himself.

After I finally came to terms that the dog was not going to come back, show up out of the darkness and certainly would not allow me to grab him, I gave up and waited for Derek to catch up to me. We carried on and it only took a few more blocks for the excitement to kick in again.

We heard a couple arguing loudly right as we rounded a corner and me being the nosey person I am, immediately slowed my pace so I could be nosey, take in the fight and pick a side. Derek and I both quickly realized that this was no small argument and when we heard cussing and accusations of hitting, a windshield being broken, and LOTS of cussing back and forth, we knew not to linger too long. Derek started walking faster and was annoyed when I didn’t do the same.

D- “Come on, we don’t need to stand around for this”
Me- “Wait, I cant hear from this far away”
D- “That’s the idea, you don’t want to mess with angry people”
Me-“But…. I want to hear what happens”
D- “NO, COME ON”
Me- “Fine. But youre no fun at all on this walk tonight”

Anyone want to come along on our next dog-catching-eavesdropping adventure?

3 comments:

Kelly said...

That is laugh out loud funny!

Katie Rae Snow said...

I wanna go next time for sure. I'll ease drop with you!!!

Velma said...

you make me smile!! Thanks for sharing the adventures! I think I'm one of those ease dropping walkers too!