Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Less Exciting Than Watching Paint Dry

Ive never claimed that my life is anything exciting or brag worthy but last night it reached an all time low. I had one of those nights that felt super productive and calmed my nerves, but in my haste and frenzy, I stopped and thought about how to some, my life may seem pretty mundane.

I left work at ACS, ran home and immediately started on my chores. I gave my cat fresh water and food, I started a much needed load of laundry, pulled out bills to pay, unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, and got my vacuum when it dawned on me that in the ENTIRE MONTH I have lived in my new place, I have not once ran the vacuum. Now thats just not like me!

I was well on my way to being done when I started in on the carpet in my bedroom. Not having vacuumed this entire time, I didnt realize that my curtains actually drag the ground (apparently they were hung higher in my old place) and the next thing I knew, my curtains were ripped from their rods and wound around the wheels of my vacuum. A horrid smell ripped through my apartment and for a minute I really thought the curtains might burst into flames until I fought them free from the no longer spinning wheels and then sat down to catch my breath. Who knew cleaning was a hazard to your health and well being?

Having run out of time, I hopped in my car armed with some bottled water to keep me cool on the drive to Massage Envy. I am convinced my AC is on the outs but refuse to actually admit it out loud (typing it doesnt count) so I just drink ice cold water while I drive and pretend the sweat isnt dripping into my eyes and down my back. Gross.

I arrived at work only to have a series of snide remarks thrown at me by one of the lovely teenagers I so often "talk" about:
"Why are you here?"
"I have sales training today"
"No you dont"
"Yes I do"
"No you dont, its not today"
"Well it says it is on the schedule"
"OH! I was supposed to call you- training takes place at the Arbor Walk location, it stars at 5, you better leave now if youre going to make it at all"
"You were supposed to call me? Why didnt you? Can you call them and let them know you didnt tell me the right information and now Ill be late-I have to drive the opposite way down 35 during rush hour traffic"
"You can call them"
"Thanks?"

I hopped back in my car which of course, had heated back up from its already NON COOL temperature, and started back in the direction I had come from. Luckily it only took me about 20 minutes so I wasnt too late. I walked in and stayed for sales training until about 8:15 PM. This actually seemed early since Im used to getting home around 10:30 on nights I work at Massage Envy, so I made the most of my time and made a stop on the way home.
HEB was my destination- which was only made necessary by the fact that I was down to my last roll of toilet paper. I did my usual months worth of shopping and got out of there as quickly as possible. For those of you that dont already know, I HATE the grocery store and shopping in it. I also hate going more than necessary and as a direct result, usually spend the greater part of an hour unpacking and organizing the mass amounts of food I buy. Ive never been the kind of person that can go and just buy a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread- its all or nothing.

When I got home, I unloaded all the food and started making my lunch for the next day. This is the precise moment that I stopped and thought about all the things Id done that day- I worked, I cleaned, I paid bills, I worked again, I grocery shopped, and I made my lunch for the next day. Shortly after that realization, I crawled into bed and fell asleep.

Tell me this- when does the "fun part" of being an adult kick in? Are your lives like this?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

unfortunately, the fun part is only on the weekends. bbbooo working!! bbooooo chores!! booooo snotty/trashy ME workers!!

Rhonda