I always knew I was a mediocre cook... but today tops all of my past cooking misadventures.
I wanted a snack while I made my lunch so I popped some questionable looking popcorn (questionable meaning, possibly ancient)... well when that burned to a crisp I thought it would have been too many calories on top of lunch anyway. What I didnt think of is that maybe I should have just stopped there.
I decided to make one of my favorite meals, tuna helper. Sure, most people think its disgusting and lame. This is precisely why I decided to make it sans Derek- he loathes tuna fish. I myself love anything tuna. Tuna helper? Especially.
I got all of my ingredients in the sauce pan and waited for the combination to start bubbling. Much to my dismay, it didnt. And didnt. And didnt.
Before I knew it, flames were pouring out from under the saucepan. I immediately started to
panic and tried to remember everything I knew about fire. Stop drop and roll. Oxygen feeds fire, dont fan it with a cloth, etc etc etc. I grabbed the fire extinguisher from under my kitchen sink (bless you apartment gods for requiring those... ) and then all of a sudden I realized the worst part- I DONT KNOW HOW TO USE THE DAMN THING. I remembered something about pulling out a pin but of course, didnt seem to have the strength (arent we supposed to be superheros when panic sets in?! Move a thousand pounds or something?).
panic and tried to remember everything I knew about fire. Stop drop and roll. Oxygen feeds fire, dont fan it with a cloth, etc etc etc. I grabbed the fire extinguisher from under my kitchen sink (bless you apartment gods for requiring those... ) and then all of a sudden I realized the worst part- I DONT KNOW HOW TO USE THE DAMN THING. I remembered something about pulling out a pin but of course, didnt seem to have the strength (arent we supposed to be superheros when panic sets in?! Move a thousand pounds or something?).The longer I stood there, the less the flames were dancing around and before I could call someone official or just plain jump from my balcony, the fire went out.
My apartment now stinks to high heaven and I think Ill never eat anything but cold cereal again.
Woe is me. I need a drink.
2 comments:
yikes! glad you made it out alive :) and thanks for the mechanic suggestion. we actually already took my car somewhere else, but i'll keep your recommendation in mind just in case we don't like this one!
Set an oven fire in my first college apartment - but neither your story nor mine top my 1st cousin who burned DOWN her family's 2-story home in H.S. trying to make french fries. I think that story takes the CAKE!! Glad I got to see you on Friday! :)
Post a Comment