Friday, August 15, 2008

Patriotism, Braces and Twins

I cannot, for the life of me, remember a time I was more interested in the Olympics than I have been this week. Granted, Michael Phelps (who some may argue is part dolphin) helps a lot, but the gymnastics and the swimming have absolutely blown me away. I have always enjoyed watching the Olympics- the figure skating, the gymnastics, the running, the skiing, etc. but it was more of a chance happening. If I turned the TV on, and I happened to catch an event, Id sit and watch for a bit. This year, however, I find myself actually studying my watch, counting down the minutes until the excitement from Beijing flicks onto my TV screen. 11:30 finds me up way past my bedtime, replacing the urge to sleep with a fast beating heart and clenched fists.

Now, I know everyone on earth is aware of Michael Phelps' amazing talent in the pool (aka "water cube") so going on and on about how wonderful a swimmer he is seems a bit unnecessary. Anyone that can rack up that many gold medals automatically gains hero status in my book! But I will allow myself to take this in a different direction... HIS TEETH! PLEASE, Michael, this is an open plea to get your teeth fixed. You are on the cover of every magazine known to man, your face has been beaming from every TV across the world and your teeth are horrid. I realize its a bit tacky to point it out, but were all friends here, no? Seriously. See an orthodontist and I'll leave you alone.

Lastly, in other Olympic news, I would like to show all of you that my friend Sarah has a twin. The irony not only stands out when I look at Sarah and then at Shawn Johnson and the resemblance is uncanny, but theres more. Shawn Johnson has proudly dawned 411 right there on her back for the world to see- that's Sarah's birthday! And of course, Sarah is a former gymnast. When I was younger, I used to tell my friends she would go to the Olympics someday... and I think I meant it, I mean, I knew she was good, but either way... I WAS RIGHT!

A side by side comparison that will in no way, shape, or form do the similarities justice:







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does Sarah walk around with her hands clasped in a triangle? Because that would be super cool. By the way, I also wanted to point out that Michael Phelp's is winning gold meDals, not meTals. He isn't competing in a steel factory. =)

Mrs SarahB said...

You noticed the teeth too? I feel better now!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, Erin's comment made me laugh. But in other news, I must admit I have been obsessed with the games this year myself! I wonder if that other gymnastist (the one who fell) has tried to jump off the top of the Water Cube yet?